|COL. DARREN V. JAMES|
Col. Darren V. James is the commander of the 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Okla. He commands a wing of more than 2,500 personnel conducting joint specialized undergraduate pilot training for more than 400 U.S. Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and allied student pilots each year. The wing operates more than 220 aircraft, flies more than 56,000 sorties annually and logs more than 82,000 flying hours each year.
Colonel James received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in 1990. He attained a Master of Aeronautical Science degree from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and a Master of Military Operational Art and Science from the Air Command and Staff College in 2003. He also earned a Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 2009.
Colonel James has been assigned as the U.S Transportation Command liaison officer to U.S. Pacific Command; a C-5 aircraft commander, instructor and evaluator; the commander of the 9th Airlift Squadron; the Tanker Airlift Control Center deputy chief of the Tanker Allocation Division and liaison officer to the United States Transportation Command; and the aide-de-camp to the 18th Air Force commander.
Prior to his current assignment he was the vice commander of the 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
While assigned to the Air Mobility Command, he supported contingency operations during Desert Storm, Provide Hope, Support Hope, Provide Comfort, Northern Watch, Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
Colonel James is a command pilot, having logged more than 4,000 hours in the C-5 Galaxy, C-17 Globemaster III, T-1A Jayhawk, T-38 Talon and the T-37 Tweet.
1990 Bachelor of Science, Human Factors Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer School, in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona, Fla.
2003 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 U.S. Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia Darden School of Business, Va.
1. May 1990 - August 1991, student, undergraduate pilot training, 82nd Flying Training Wing, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. August 1991 - July 1995, pilot scheduler, training officer, chief of Squadron plans and aircraft commander, C-5, 3rd Airlift Squadron, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
3. October 1995 - February 1996, pilot instructor training, T-37, 559th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
4. February 1996 - March 1997, instructor pilot, T-37, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
5. August 1997 - February 1998, pilot instructor training, T-1A, 99th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
6. February 1998 - June 1999, instructor pilot and flight commander, T-1A, 32nd Flying Training Squadron, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
7. June 1999 - June 2002, wing executive officer, assistant operations officer, evaluator pilot, instructor pilot, C-5, 9th Airlift Squadron, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
8. June 2002 - June 2003, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
9. June 2003 - December 2004, deputy chief, Tanker Allocation Division, liaison officer to United States Transportation Command, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
10. December 2004 - October 2005, aide-de-camp to the commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
11. November 2005 - October 2006, chief, Wing Safety, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
(May 2006 - September 2006, chief, Wing Safety, 376 Air Expeditionary Wing, Kyrgyz Republic)
12. November 2006 - June 2008, commander, 9th Airlift Squadron, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover Air Force Base, Del.
13. July 2008 - June 2009, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2009 - July 2011, United States Transportation Command liaison officer to United States Pacific Command, Camp H. M. Smith, Hawaii
15. July 2011 - June 2012, vice commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S. C.
16. June 2012 - present, commander, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,000
Aircraft: C-5, C-17, T-1A, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and one silver oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze service star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwaiti Liberation Medal - Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant May 30, 1992
Captain May 30, 1994
Major June 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2009
(Current as of May 2012)